Acquisition by foreigners


In Switzerland, the acquisition of housing by foreigners is relatively restrictive. However, persons with a B or C residence permit may become owners of their property in a primary or secondary residence, in the same way as Swiss citizens, provided that their legal residence is in Switzerland.



In addition, the purchase of second homes and holiday homes is subject to quotas per municipality. The cantons allow this type of acquisition by foreigners in tourist regions.

It should be noted that real estate owned by a foreigner with a permit can be sold under the same conditions (transferable permit).


Cookies enable us to analyse our traffic and identify our popular content so that we can offer visitors the best possible experience. They may also be used for marketing purposes when our resources are downloaded. Find out more